Insomnia is the inability to fall asleep or maintain sleep that results in an insufficient amount of sleep.
Also known as falling asleep and maintaining sleep disorders, it is a common disease for various reasons causing difficulty in falling asleep and awakening.
It also leads to insufficient and poor quality of sleep time.
Insomnia stems from bad habits
- Drinking caffeine or cigarettes before going to bed.
- Some people are accustomed to sleeping in stages. On the surface, it looks like the total hours, but the sleep structure is broken so that the quality of sleep will not be good.
- The bed is a place for people to sleep, but if you study in bed, eat, and watch TV, it is easy to cultivate an atmosphere that you don’t want to sleep.
Causes of Insomnia
- Pillows are too high: From a physiological point of view, the pillow is preferably 8-12 cm. Too low, it is easy to cause “falling pillows”, or too much blood flowing into the brain, causing the brain to swell the next day, puffiness of the eyelids; too high, it will affect the unobstructed airway, increase snoring, and prolonged high pillows may cause neck discomfort Humpback.
- Sleep with your hands: When you sleep with both hands under your head affects blood circulation and causing numbness in the upper limbs. Therefore, it is not advisable to use both hands as pillows when sleeping.
- Quilt cover: Masking yourself up can easily cause breathing difficulties; at the same time, inhaling carbon dioxide exhaled by oneself is extremely detrimental to physical health. Infants and young children should not do so, otherwise, there is a danger of suffocation.
- Open mouth breathing: Sleeping at night with a closed mouth is the best way to maintain vitality. Opening your breath not only sucks in dust, but also makes the trachea, lungs, and ribs easily stimulated by cold air.
It is best to breathe through the nose, nose hair can block part of the dust, and the nasal cavity can warm the cold air inhaled, which is good for health.
Symptoms of Insomnia
- Poor sleep quality: Although many patients can fall asleep but they feel sleep cannot be relieved, and they still feel tired after waking up and the main cause behind is poor quality sleep. The main reason for poor quality sleep is bad mattresses, so try buying a new mattress to get good quality sleep.
- Sleep dysfunction: It means a lack of a true sense of sleep. Although many patients can fall asleep suddenly, after waking up, they believe that they are not asleep, but the person in the same room or spouse says that he has been snoring.
- Difficulty falling asleep: it is difficult to fall asleep, and the fall time to sleep is 1-3 hours behind. The patient said that he was sleepy and wanted to sleep, but he could not sleep in the bed, and thought about messy things over and over again and results in the significantly reduced sleep time.
Read : Insomnia in Children
As we know sleep is one of the most important factors for your health. Whatever is the reason for your sleep loss, insomnia can affect you both mentally and physically.
People with insomnia experience a lower quality of life compared with people who are sleeping well. You won’t want to disrupt your well-being and your work processes just because of not getting enough sleep. Be aware and take care of everything mentioned above.