Sleep disturbance is a condition that causes improper sleep cycles to person and also affects the quality of sleep on a regular basis.
Nowadays, humongous teens and adults are diagnosed with ADHD or other neurodevelopmental conditions in which a person experiences a lot of difficulties sleeping at night.
What is ADHD
According to Wikipedia “Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a mental disorder of the neurodevelopmental type. It is characterized by difficulty paying attention, excessive activity and acting without regard to consequences, which are otherwise not appropriate for a person’s age.”
How ADHD affect sleep
Some studies that held in the past few years have consistently shown higher rates of sleep disturbances among the children who are suffering from ADHD.
Signs of sleep disturbances usually start typically appearing around the age of adolescence. Research has shown that sleep disorders cause noticeable may behavioral changes in children with ADHD.
Additionally, sleepiness and tiredness throughout the day worsen the symptoms and effects of ADHD.
Causes of Sleep Disturbances
Sleep disturbances can be caused because of an individual’s ADHD or can also be caused due to anxiety, depression or even oppositional defiant disorder.
Sleep disturbances and difficulties can also be the result of stimulant medications as well and if you think that your medication is causing you to sleep disturbances then discuss it with your doctor so that you can get proper medication and let you get rid of sleep disturbance.
There are two common sleep disorders that alongside ADHD can also be sleep disturbance causes:
- Restless Leg Syndrome
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea(OSA)
It is very important to deal and get rid of these sleep disorders otherwise ADHD and fellow disorders may worsen your concentration and academic functioning.
Symptoms of Sleep Disturbances
- Difficulty falling or staying asleep
- Daytime fatigue
- Strong urge to take naps during the day
- Irritability or anxiety
- Lack of concentration
Good practices to follow for getting quality sleeping
- Following consistent regular sleeping and wake schedule and try to follow it on weekends as well.
- Keep your bedroom quiet.
- Try to keep your sleeping place’s temperature cool.
- Switch of your room lights before sleeping.
- Restrict the use of the bed for only sleeping purposes.
- Do exercises every single day.
- Discuss your medications with your doctor if any of them is causing sleep disturbances to you.
Things to avoid Sleep Disturbance
- Drinking less amount of water before sleeping.
- Eating smaller low carbohydrate meals before going to sleep.
- Intake of caffeine products in the latter half of the day.
- Using smartphones, Computes, TV’s or playing video games before going to bed.
- Drinking alcohol and consuming cigarettes.
- Incorporating more green vegetables and fish into your diet.
- Reducing sugar intake.
- By reducing stress and anxiety level.
The effects of regular sleep disturbance cause a lot of negative impact on your bod and will likely want immediate relief.
It might not get rid quickly but if you strictly follow your treatment plan every single day then you can eventually find your way to better quality sleep.