It is estimated that around 10 to 20 percent of people regularly sleep on their backs.
There are two main positions generally opted by back sleepers
The “Soldier” position involves the legs being mostly straight and the arms pointing down toward the legs.
- The “Starfish” position involves having the legs slightly further apart and the arms up above the head.
Benefits of sleeping on your back
- Less contorting of the body or limbs, even
Less contorting of the body or limbs, even when you are in the Starfish position.
Back-sleeping can even reduce the risk of facial wrinkles since there is not any direct pressure on the face from being pressed against your pillow or mattress.
- As head and esophagus can be slightly elevated relative to your stomach, back sleeping can also reduce acid reflux in some cases.
Drawbacks of sleeping on your back
- Back sleeping leads to an increase in snoring and a higher risk of obstructive sleep apnea (OSA).
- When on your back, the base of your tongue can sink toward the back of the throat, narrowing the airway which leads to snoring and can even be disruptive for you and to your partner.
What Mattress characteristics should a back sleeper look for
While the most important characteristics of the mattress are its support, firmness, and durability which you should primarily keep in mind as it can be confusing at times to know what specific features to analyze when comparing mattresses.
Also, the Reviews Section is the most important thing to evaluate and should consider while looking at the potential mattress options.
High-end components: The materials used in building a mattress should be of high quality as it holds up over a long period of time and will deliver on its promise of a great night’s sleep.
- Value: Before buying a mattress, make sure that you look for any coupons or discounts that may be available on the mattress.
Simple return policy: If you are buying a mattress online and you don’t have the opportunity to return it if there is any manufacturing defect then it is not a worthy choice for you to buy.
However, most of the online mattress sellers provide customer-friendly return policies that allow you to get a full refund if you aren’t fully satisfied with their product.
Robust comfort layer: Another important element that a back sleeper should consider is the design of the comfort layer it has to support your whole body, so a strong comfort layer is very much essential.
- Free shipping: if you buy a mattress online, there is a high possibility that the mattresses will be delivered to you without any additional cost for shipping.
We advise that you carefully look at the terms and conditions for shipping to avoid any type of mismatch after buying the product.
Which Mattress Types Are Best For Back Sleepers
Foam and latex mattresses are the best choices according to our research for providing proper contouring for the person who is a back sleeper.