Every sane human on this earth loves savings. No matter who is on the receiving end, even 100 rupees off or some percentage extra makes our day.
We all want to save as much as possible but there is always a limit to everything.
After a point, the saving starts biting us as we sacrifice the quality while attempting to save.
The same is in the case of a mattress.
We all love to buy something new, but you know what we love more than that?
Making use out of the old thing, delaying the event of purchase.
In this shinysleep edition, we will be taking a look at:
- What is a bad mattress?
- The effects of a bad mattresses
- The number of years a mattress will last
- The way to
A mattress after a certain period gets old, out-of-shape and something you cannot and should not be using.
A mattress goes bad when
It has been in your home for more than X years: Mattress comes with a warranty of something in the ballpark of 8-10 years but when you stay in your home for more than X years, the justification becomes difficult. There are tons of factors that would be pointing out why you need to throw it out and get a new one.
The factors are:
- It gets more difficult to sleep day by day: The mattress goes bad when sleeping on it becomes a tough task. You won’t be able to sleep on it smoothly anymore. You will become sleep deprived day by day and the effect of not changing the mattress will be seen on your body.
- You face hygiene issues: Dust mites, mildew, molds and god know what rests on your mattress without your permission.
The average number of dust mites? 10 million is the number to start with.
- It gets pretty uncomfortable: You know how sleep can be the most relaxing part of the whole day, and if the sleep gets disturbed the whole next day gets ruined. So if you are getting frequent, ruined next days, that means it’s time to change your mattress.
Want to know how a good mattress can help you get a better snooze?
- You start experiencing back pain: Regular back pain and back problems can be the outcome of a bad mattresses. If you are seeing a doctor, changing the mattress would be the first thing that he will suggest to you. Orthopedic mattresses are popularly recommended by doctors for back pains and any issues faced due to mattress usage.
Read what exactly an orthopedic mattress is – Orthopedic Mattress
Allergies: Keeping in mind the number of dust mites, it is no surprise that dust mites can cause allergies.
The most faced problems are:
- Itchy eyes,
- Breathing challenges
And more chronic diseases can be a part of it too, if the regular use of old mattresses doesn’t stop.
Now that we have seen, how bad mattresses can affect our health. We should now move on to the section where we discuss the number of years a mattress will last.
As the topic is very subjective, We cannot put up a strict age limit on a mattress,
A normal mattress comes with a warranty of 10 years, but we should be wary of the above factors and it is advisable to replace the old one within 7-8 years.
You can obviously use a mattress cover or a mattress topper to prevent the mattress from getting bad early and make it partially devoid of any external substances.
A mattress protector according to Wikipedia is an item of removable bedding that stays on top of, or encases, a mattress to protect it from allergens and irritants such as dust mites, bed bugs, mold, and dead skin.
A mattress topper is designed to lie atop a mattress. Being made from a variety of materials, its primary use is to provide a layer of comfort and alleviate the power of a mattress.
So, there always will be ways to fix the bad mattresses and get the age up a little, but there is nothing better than replacing them.
We now know how a bad mattress can affect us and why we should be replacing the old ones right away without giving in to our cravings.
A survey states that the adrenaline rush while purchasing something new can cure bad moods and anxiety. So let’s focus on moving on!!