The world is under a crisis. The pandemic has surprised everyone with its duration spreading the belief that it might be here to stay. People have continued with their work but it is still a new normal. The worst thing about this is the toxicity that has come along and is now spreading. The early signs of this were seen as people were having mental health problems. But now it has started to affect their physical health. The toxicity is making its way to the body through the mind. And its effects are not so good.
For instance, People are devoid of having quality sleep due to their overthinking hats that don’t seem to leave their heads alone. In such a situation you need a breather. Something to put a full stop to all the negative stuff wandering around in your mind and puts you to rest for a while.
And there’s nothing better than the yogic asanas that are known to have a super positive impact on your whole body. One yogic asana that instills a sense of powerful calm and relaxation is Supta Baddha Konasana. It is popular among the yogic enthusiasts for its innumerable benefits and its ability to provide instant calmness.
What is Supta Baddha Konasana?
- Supta Baddha Konasana is one of the yogic asanas that have magical results when it comes to putting you in a deep state of rest and instant calmness.
- It is also known as Reclined Goddess Pose.
- This posture doesn’t need any props or accessories to perform. Just a mat will suffice pretty much.
- It provides your body with total support from all angles forming a layer of relaxation without exertion.
When to perform Supta Baddha Konasana?
The best time to perform this asana is at the start of your day. Perform this the first thing in the morning and you won’t feel the need of any relaxation throughout your day.
How to perform this asana?
- To begin, lie down
- Keep your face up towards the fan.
- Put your shoulders in a relaxing position, ensuring that your spine is straight.
- Bend your knees now. Before you do that make sure your neck is pressure-free.
- Now, put your feet together in a way that the soles touch each other.
- Your feet and shoulders should not lift up from the mat.
- Now, bring your heels towards you. That is towards your pelvic region.
- Bring your hands near your hip region.
- Keep the palms of your hands, facing on the ground
- Now exhale.
- Keep in mind you shouldn’t feel any pain in your lower back. Stop the asana if you do.
- You will feel certain stability in your spine, as you slowly perform the asana.
- Keep in mind to perform this slowly and move ahead in the asana gradually to avoid any sprains post-yoga.
- Now, inhale.
- Open up your legs while letting out the inhaled air.
- Your inner thighs will get a good stretch.
- Now you can exhale and come out of the post. Keep in mind to come out of the pose gradually to avoid any extra stress on the muscles.
- To achieve full relaxation, hold your knees together.
Health benefits of performing this asana
As we mentioned above there are innumerable benefits of supta baddha konasana. Some of them are:
- Supta Baddha Konasana helps in easing your thoughts and puts a full stop on anxiety for a while.
- This asana is known to better the blood circulation and is also good for your heart.
- You can feel the instant energy rushing in your body as soon as you get over with the asana.
- Your urinary bladder and kidney tend to be activated as you perform the asana.
- It is known to cure headaches as well.
- It helps you sleep better by removing the negative thoughts and preventing the anti-sleep elements.
- In a nutshell, it calms the entirety of your mind and your body.
Things to keep in mind while performing Supta Baddha Konasana
- If you have any injuries or pain in the pelvic region or the knee or even your lower back. You should not perform this asana. It will have adverse effects on the regions.
- Pregnant women should only perform this under the strict supervision of a yoga instructor. Otherwise, the repercussions could be bad.
Supta Baddha Konasana is the epitome asanas that help you find inner calm and overall relaxation. You should practice it on a regular basis to eliminate any difficulty in performing the asana and smoothing the overall process. Also performing it daily will help you develop an inner sense of calmness. Do let us know your experience with Supta Baddha Konasana in the comments below.