Sleep, the state when the body is completely at rest, devoid of any physical strain. The state of recharge which takes about one-third of our life span.
If a human spends such amount of time dozing off, it must have some valuable significance?
The most basic essentialities rendered by a good amount of sleep are:
- It Pumps up your Immune System
- It helps in stress reduction
- It enhances the ability to stay, calm, controlled and reasonable.
- It lowers the levels of stress and inflammation of cardiovascular system
- It sharpens your memory and help process things better.
- It helps you maintaining your body weight.
These were some of essentials a good sleep brings to the table, but wait!
The benefits are okay, what will happen if sleep is compromised or completely avoided?
- Increase in cancer risk
- Cancer, the worst of all that could ever happen to a human according to a report by American Academy of Sleep Medicine is associated with lack of sleep.
- Lack of sleep renders a person prone to cancer, especially:
- Breast Cancer
- Colorectal Cancer
- Prostate Cancer
People whose body’s biological clock is disrupted are usually at an increased risk.
Researchers suspect that the suppression of melatonin at night is one of the key parts responsible for it.
People are advised to get a proper sleep without disturbing the contemporary sleeping patterns so as to be at the safer side.
- Memory Power starts diminishing i.e. you won’t be able to remember stuff
Remember sitting up all night preparing for a test just to end up forgetting most of it in the morning?
Does that ring any bell?
Inadequate sleep impairs your judgment and hinders your motor skills. Sleep is essential to consolidate information as a memory so that it can be recalled in the future. Lack of sleep hinders your ability to consolidate and thereby causes the inability to access it in the later future.
- You won’t be in the best of your health
Lack of sleep hinders the working of the immune system and increases the pace at which you get ill.
Your ability to fight off illnesses gets compromised.
Moreover, the lack of good amount of sleep not only impairs your health but also tends to worsen your body.
A major impact is caused by the condition of your skin
Lack of sleep promotes fine lines, uneven skin color, wrinkles and marked looseness of the skin.
- You move your way towards obesity
Have you heard people say that over-eating is bad but late-night munching is the worst?
They might have a valid point here.
This is because not only your are having an irregular meal, but you are also staying up late which affects your body weight.
Lack of sleep tends to impact appetite regulation thereby adversely affecting glucose metabolism and increasing blood pressure.
People with bad sleeping patterns tend to have a higher BMI.
This is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the drastic consequences of sleep deprivation.
So whenever you plan a late-night Netflix binge, remember you are not doing any good to your health, skin and even your brain.