There are multiple types of things that you can start right away to get good quality sleep every night and one of them is “eating right”.
Eating right is as important as practicing other good sleep hygiene because it promotes great sleep at night.
Taking the wrong dietary choices is one of the major reasons for the poor quality of sleep.
Everyone in this world knows the value of eating good foods and what impact that has on their daily lives.
Benefits of eating the best foods for sleep
- Provides positive energy that we need to complete tasks.
- Strengthen our immune system against diseases
- Improve cognitive functions
- Heal wounds
- Repair bones and tissues
- Help children grow big strong
- Makes your life more productive and happy
Read : 6 Tricks to sleep fast
But too often healthy eating is rarely compared with sleep, so today we are presenting our list of best and worst foods for getting sleep.
Let’s start first with the best foods for sleep
The list of best foods for sleeping follows below:
- Almonds: It has been claimed by sleep experts that almonds may also help boost sleep quality and the main reason behind this is almonds are the source of the sleep-regulating hormone melatonin.
- Tart Cherry Juice: as tart cherry juice contains content of the melatonin that is a sleep-promoting hormone that induces a good night’s sleep.
- Fatty fish: Fatty fish are a very good source of vitamin D and omega-3 fatty acid and both of these sources have properties that may improve the quality of your sleep.
- Turkey: Turkey is quite good food to eat before going to bed due to its high content of protein and tryptophan, both of which may induce tiredness and ultimately sleep.
- Walnuts: Walnuts have some properties that may promote better sleep because of the presence of content of melatonin and healthy fats in them.
- Chamomile Tea: Chamomile tea contains some antioxidants that may promote sleepiness, and drinking it has resulted in better and improve overall sleep quality.
- Passionflower Tea: Passionflower tea may influence sleep due to its rich content of the antioxidant apigenin and also because of its ability to increase GABA production.
- Kiwi: Kiwis are rich in serotonin and antioxidants, both of which may improve sleep quality when eaten before sleeping in the night.
- White Rice: White rice are very much beneficial to eat before going to bed due to its high glycemic index, which may promote better sleep.
Worst food items
- Chocolate: Chocolate also contains some caffeine which can stimulate the nervous system and keep you awake for longer hours and affect your sleep cycle.
- Hot pepper: Some people even report that eating spicy foods like hot pepper before sleeping causes them; crazy dreams and improper sleep.
- Ice cream: Dairy products usually contain a ton of fat and even low-fat ice creams can be having high sugar content which means you probably will not get a good amount of sleep if you eat ice cream in the night or late evening.
- Alcohol, Coffee, and Tea: Coffee will keep your eyes wide open and its reason is the presence of caffeine in it. Also, it prevents you from reaching a restorative deep sleep. Alcohol also contains caffeine and some other substances that lead to worsening your existing sleep conditions like sleep apnea.
- Pasta: Pasta is straight carbohydrates just like sugar that activates the fat “storage” system in your body and then lets it run through the night which causes problems while sleeping.
Read : What is Sleep Apnea
These good eating habits will lead to betterment in your lifestyle and you will be able to get good quality sleep and if you have started following and eating best foods for sleep and avoided all the bad eating habits and other bad sleep hygiene practices, but still find yourself having trouble sleeping at night then there’s could be high chance that you could be suffering from a sleep disorder.