If you snore frequently, you’re not alone. Almost half of adults all around the world snore.
It happens when air flows through your throat while you are breathing in your sleep. This causes vibration in the relaxed tissues of your throat that cause harsh and irritating snoring sounds.
Read : Why does snoring occur
Snoring may disrupt your and your partner’s sleep.
Also, snoring could be a sign of serious health conditions like:
- Sleep deprivation.
- Obstructive sleep apnea
- Structure and shape issue of your mouth, nose, or throat
And in the rest of the cases, the major cause of snoring could be because of sleeping on your back or intaking alcohol too close to your bedtime.
Remedies to help you stop snoring
- Clear your nasal passages: If you have a stuffy big nose, rinse your sinuses with saline water before going to bed. You can also use a nasal decongestant or nasal strips to help you breathe more easily while sleeping and avoid snoring.
If you have any type of smell allergies, reduce dust mites and pet dander in your bedroom or use an allergy medication so that you don’t get in contact with these allergies.
- Be careful and conscious of what you are eating before sleeping: Research shows that eating heavy meals before sleeping leads to snoring. Also consuming certain foods such as dairy or soymilk right before sleeping can make loud snoring even worse.
- Exercise: exercise can help you reduce or even rid of snoring habits, even if it doesn’t lead to any weight loss. That’s because when you tone various muscles in your body, like your arms, legs, and abs, this all toning of the muscles in your throat can lead to less or even no snoring at all.
- Keep your bedroom air moist: Dry air can irritate membranes preset inside of your nose and throat. So if you have a swollen nasal tissue, then a humidifier may help you prevent any type of dry air irritation.
- Quit smoking: If you smoke, your chances are very high of snoring. Smoking irritates the membranes present in the nose and throat which can block the airways and increases the chances of snoring.
- Change your sleeping pattern and style: Elevating your head four inches may ease breathing and encourage your tongue and jaw to move forward. Also, there are some specifically designed pillows available in the market that help to prevent snoring and also to get rid of it by making sure your neck muscles are not crimped.
- Sleep on your side instead of your back: change your sleeping positions from back to sides. So that your tongue and throat don’t get blocked while sleeping and will allow you to breathe properly and avoid snoring.
- Weight loss: Losing even a little bit of weight can help you reduce fatty tissue that is present at the back of your throat which enables you to decrease, or even stop snoring.
- Avoid alcohol and sleeping pills: as alcohol consumption and taking sleeping pills relax the muscles inside the throat and causes interference in breathing.
Also talk to your doctor before taking any prescription medications, as some encourage a deeper level of sleep which can make snoring even worse and loud.
Snoring is a serious problem because of health issues that snoring can cause, so if it persist even after you tried everything, you should go and see the doctor.
So that you can avoid any upcoming big health threat or serious problem.